- June 15, 2017 - June 16, 2017
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Teaching With Purpose (TWP) Hip Hop Education Summit
TWP Hip Hop Education Summit (2nd Annual)
Theme: “They Schools” Establishing Hip Hop Education
Keynote Speakers: Gabriel “Asheru” Benn
National Presenter: Martha Diaz
June 15-16, 2017
The TWP Hip Hip Education Summit brings together community, educators, and state agencies to educate and inform about Hip Hop culture and Hip Hop Education scholarship. The summit will discuss ways to increase teacher diversity and innovative practices and curriculum through Hip Hop Education.
The Summit brings together students, educators, artist, and community members to educate and inform about Hip Hop culture and infuse Hip Hop Education into schools.
We will have a special tribute to Tupac Shakur. His former group member and brother E.D.I Mean will be one of our keynote speakers. The second day we will bus educators and students to view 2pac’s biopic All Eyez On Me.
- The goal is to develop and produce certified;
- Hip Hop Educators
- Hip Hop Artist in Residents
- Hip Hop Education Coaches
Course Learning Targets:
- Scholarship development of Hip Hop Education
- Examine the education system and the influence of hip hop music and culture.
- Explore hip hop pedagogy in educational classrooms, politics and the identity of hip hop, as well as the evolution of hip hop into global society.
- Understand/Overstand the importance of engaging students in using hip hop as a medium to educate youth in the 21st century.
Day 1 Skype Live Studio
11:30am to 12:00pm – Presentation
12:05pm to 1:00pm – Keynote Address
1:05 pm to 2:30 pm E.D.I Mean lecture and performance
Special Tupac Shakur Lecture by E.D.I Mean of the Outlawz
Day 2 Boise-Eliot/Humboldt Elementary
9:00 am to 11:30 am Special Presentation -Lauren Kelly
(Sack Lunch will be provided)
12:00 pm to 2:30 pm Movie Viewing of the All Eyes On Me
Fox Tower Stadium 10 846 S.W. Park Ave, Portland, OR 97205
2:45 pm to 3:45 pm Movie Discussion
3:50pm to 4:50pm Keynote address- Martha
4:50 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. Performance- Sol Development